Tuesday, August 08, 2006

True leadership potential

When looking for leaders, we often try to find someone who is ambitious, visionary, a good speaker, and someone who knows how to lead. We see those people who naturally take the lead as our "natural born leaders." I've heard someone call childhood bossiness "unsanctified leadership potential." I'm beginning to doubt this model of leadership. People will submit to someone who knows how to lead simply because no one else is leading them and we need to follow someone. However, people will submit to someone who is admirable and just because they want to. Even more, people will submit to someone who has been a servant to them out of love and gratitude. YHWH has been showing me a different kind of leadership lately.

I've also learned leadership from my friend Andrew Stringer. He is one the most humble men I know. He is a consistent servant and full of loving kindness. I've never struggled with him, probably because he is quick to make peace and submit. When he was put into a position of leadership, I trusted him and was willing to do whatever he asked of me. Why? Because I knew he had the best intentions. He was a servant at heart and wouldn't ask me to do anything he wouldn't do himself. He had loved me and in return I loved him and was willing to follow. That is natural leadership.

Or take a Biblical example. Why did people follow Christ? It wasn't because He was dominating or because He put Himself in a position of power. I would say people followed because they saw so much love and goodness in Christ. He stood up for what was right, reached out to those who were hurting and alone, and He was a loving servant to boot! Who wouldn't trust Him as a leader?

So how do you know if you're cut out for leadership? Forget leadership training seminars or self help books. Just try serving people, and ask the LORD to make you humble. If in your humility, He lifts you up into a position of leadership, you were made to lead! If you stay in humility and servitude, perhaps the LORD has more use for you there, so praise His name and give Him glory!

How do you like my model? Am I missing out on something? Or is this wisdom? What do you think?

5 Comments:

Blogger Aurora said...

sounds like you're getting more to the heart of things...being a leader is more about example and character than about what you say or do necessarily.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel you really are hitting the nail on the head. It is such a God word. I am so still learning.
Melinda

12:07 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Hi Boyd. Thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure if I see myself there but i'll receive it!
Bless you mate. Missing you lots.
Andrew

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » »

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home