Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Why I don't like preaching.

Jesus once told His disciples that He would send them Holy Spirit, and Holy Spirit would guide them into all truth. That was a promise He made to the group of them. I believe that there is no truth that YHWH wishes to keep from His Body, but I don't think He will reveal everything to just one person. YHWH gives us truths in revelation, and I believe He wants to give full revelation the His full Body.

That being said, let me pose an obstacle- the preacher. On a Sunday morning in your average corps or church, one preacher will preach a sermon. But if we are all individual parts to a whole body, don't you think we might be missing out if only one person is allowed to share? What if there are a number of people in the congregation with different, but complementary, insights to a given truth? If only one person is supposed to share what God has shown them, then we miss out on what God has shown to everyone else! The body then cannot be guided into all truth because, as a Church, we have decided to only value what the preacher has to say! Also, there are different types of teachers who teach in different ways. If we only value one way of teaching, we only get one perspective on truth, only one piece of the truth puzzle. Imagine how much more we could learn if the sermon was a open to everyone!?

Since there are different types of teaching, allow me to express this differently- Say YHWH wanted to reveal the truth of what and elephant was to His church. To one man, he reveals that elephants are big. To another, he reveals that elephants have long trunks. To another He reveals that they are mammals, are grey, and what sound they make. To another, something else, etc. Many have been given a revelation of what an elephant is, but only the first shares, because he is the preacher. So the congregation hears the elephant is big. Only His revelation is given consideration. Nobody else thinks their revelation is important anyway, or is too afraid to speak it. So all we understand is that the elephant is big. This is good and true, but we're really missing out! I know the analogy isn't perfect, but I think it at least explains what I'm trying to say.

So what do you think? How do we fix the problem? Or do you think there is no problem and I'm just a crazy person? What truth has our God revealed to you about this? An by the way, YHWH told me elephants have big ears!

6 Comments:

Blogger I Believe We Shall Win said...

Good point, Joel. I think people are often afraid to share because they don't know for sure which voices they're listening to...which is WHY we should be sharing more often with eachother, since truth can be verified through the testimony of many witnesses! (Like, it wasn't until I got to actually RIDE an elephant that I discovered they actually have hair...my experience modified my perspective of what an elephant was...and it wasn't until I stepped out in faith that I saw God prove himself worthy of my trust)

12:20 PM  
Blogger I Believe We Shall Win said...

this is actually Aurora. You forgot to sign off of my computer!

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cell groups are another possible solution to the problem.

and i basically agree with you.
i often want to stand up in the middle of a sermon and share what the Lord revealed to me about the topic. i'm sure many other people do as well.

cell groups allow for discussion and sharing, as well as accountability and prayer.

i believe preaching is most useful in preaching a gospel shot to the lost.

olivia.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Roro said...

i had this problem this morning . . . twice. the first time was a bit of a controversial subject - subjugation of women (talking about vashti in esther) in sunday school - and i decided to bite my tongue becasue it could have ended in an argument.

the second time was while the preacher was talking. i had some things God revealed to me that could add onto his word and make it that much more fuller. but, i don't feel at liberty to stand up and 'add on'.

this is why cell groups/smaller bible study groups are good. we get to hear everyone's side.

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Technically every Army meeting is supposed to have a testimony/ies in it. One of the most edifying things I know of is hearing my brothers and sisters testify. It means so much to me.We have a lot to learn from each other's walk and we can rejoice in who God is as others speak of him. Also, sometimes when we're singing I stop for a while and listen to my fellow worshipers testify to God's goodness through the song. Just ahymn or a P and W song can play out as a moving testimony.

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't mean to post anonymously, which is what I just did. This is Amy Reardon. Hope summer is going well for you, Joel.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home