Thursday, May 18, 2006

This is my testimony

So I've been busy and haven't blogged here for like a month or so. I know you missed me!!!

So I have a testimony to tell you. I've come to a greater realization of where I have been and where I am now. So here I go.

I said the sinners prayer at 6, I was converted at the age of 13, and I was saved at 20. That's to make a long story short. Now to make a short story longer....

When I was six years old, I was given an opportunity to say a prayer to ask Jesus into my heart. I didn't quite get it, but I said it. Later that night I said it in my bedtime prayers to show my mom. She was so exicted that she took me to the garage to say it to my dad. He was glad too. What parent wouldn't be glad to hear their young child accept Jesus?

I continued to go to church. At church I learned to pray. I came to realize that if I prayed well people would tell me I was a good prayer. It was good to be encouraged to pray, but it also gave birth to something dark in me. Something evil was born out of something good. Sin loves to abuse the good to make itself more wicked and more corrupt.

As I grew in the church, I learned to do what was right. I never strayed very far. I never got wrapped up in some great, obvious sins. But I was sinful nonetheless.

At 13, I really dedicated my life to Christ. It was the first time I had a desire to do something great for the Lord. The speaker was talking about Booth and his commitment at a young age to live for Christ. I wanted to do the same so I could be used as he was. Booth's example led me into closer devotion with the Lord. I began to read my Bible and made my faith mine. But I was still missing something. There was obediance, but I knew deep inside that there was something more.

I grew in odebiance and knowlege. I was devoted to following Jesus. But what I lacked was an understanding of His grace. I was still under the law! I was obeying commandments, and it looked good on the outside. I had very good of intentions. I thought my obediance was good, and it was, but it was my own righteousness. My own righteousness was as a filthy rag compared to who I truely was in Christ. I was like a Pharisee. The problem with the Pharisee's wasn't that they were outwardly wicked. In fact, they followed the law more closely than anyone else. But their own righteousness created in them great pride. They were as whitewashed tombs, clean on the outside, but dead and rotting within. And that's where I was, having my sin in secret and my obediance zealous, but on my own strength.

I went to the War College simply because it was an environment I knew I would grow in; a year devoted to God and growing in Him. Early in the year He showed me where there was pride inside. He taught me His power to change me and I began to rely on His grace. Then I began to grow, not in obedience and knowlege, but faith and understanding. Through my faith in His complete grace, I became free from the law which bred the sin of pride leading to death. I became free in grace! God has made me like Him. Instead of pride, now there is love. Instead of zealous obedience, I have faith in the work He will do in and through me. His grace covers all sin! I am free! I am free from the bondage and slavery I was in under sin. I am now free to walk in true righteousness, righteousness that begins in the heart.

That's my testimony of the work of His grace in my life. He is truely good and His love for me had endured and will endure forever! God be thanked and praised for His goodness and His ultimate gifts!

3 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Praise the Lord for your testimony Joel. Praise God for you! Praise the Lord!

:)

9:39 PM  
Blogger Daejeon James said...

Joel
Forgive me for not being in contact with you sooner. But strangely enough I've been thinking about you and Joe. A sense of nostalia from the summer and War College. I remember you being like an older brother to me, even though I stand a few years older. I just wanted to say how proud I am of you. I can truely say I love you with the love of Christ. You will do amazing things and can't wait to see what they are.

PEACE Brother

9:33 AM  
Blogger Rebekah Dooley said...

praise the lord for your testimony
We overcame by the blood of the lamb and words of our testimony.

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home